Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Remembering my Grandma Leona

My grandmother, Leona, passed away tonight. While we were home over the holidays we had the chance to see her. Even though we knew this was going to happen sooner than we wanted- it is still hard to lose a loved one. She had an amazing 92, nearly 93, years here and we wish we could have 92 more.



Things I'm remembering about her:




  • She always kept her fingernail polish in the fridge.


  • She always had painted nails and lipstick on


  • She called hot dogs 'weiners' which always made me giggle.


  • The only time I heard her swear was when she was playing cards with her twin sister Levina, her husband Lewis and my grandpa Bud. They thought I was asleep but I heard those curse words


  • She made the best Christmas cookies. She these fried ones that looked like ornaments. Almost too pretty to eat.


  • When I'd stay overnight on a weekend she would always take me to Perkins after church.


  • I think it meant alot to her when she learned our daughter's name was Bennet Leona.


  • She could paint ceramics like nobody else.


  • She would always humor me and tell me the story of her life, adoption, etc. Over and over I'd ask about it.
  • I used to love wearing her high heels. I could fit in them when I was 9 or 10. I think she had regular sized feet and I have giant feet.


I have so much more to say but everything is kind of running through my head in slow motion. Somehow putting this into words helped a little bit. Kind of strange to blog at a time like this but it keeps my mind moving.

Please keep my family in your thoughts and prayers as we remember someone very dear to us.

13 comments:

Lindsey McFarland said...

sorry for your loss, many hugs to you. I lost my grandpa on the same day 23 years ago.

charlotte said...

what beautiful memories. I feel through your words that I know your Grandma Leona just a little bit- what a special lady. So sorry for this loss in your family. Sending hugs and prayers to you and your family.

JenM said...

So sorry for your loss - you and your family are in my prayers.

Estee said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. Reading your memories brought tears to my eyes. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Brenda said...

Kari - I am so sorry for the passing of your precious Grandma Leona.

All of those wonderful things you remember about her, makes me see that you and she are a lot alike. :)

Hugs to you as you remember and move forward. Sending lots of love, hugs and prayers to you and your family!

Melissa S said...

Hugs to you Kari..I am saddened to read this blog..but I sort of got the feeling it was coming...I think it will be very therapeutic for you to do a scrapbook lo using your journaling and that awesome hand photo..along with a picture of the 2 of you..Again you are in my thoughts and prayers..

Stacy said...

Kari-I know way to well losing a grandma. Mine has now been gone almost 6 years. She passed away just 3 short months before my Gabe was born. I remember her telling the doctors that she had great-grandbabies to meet. My heartfelt prayers are going out to you and your family during this time! Your pictures are beautiful!

Char said...

KariAnn - my sincere condolences to you and your family. I am very sorry for your loss. Sending you my love, hugs, and heartfelt prayers.

Tara said...

oh Kari, so sorry for your loss..thank you for sharing those memories!! so awesome to have her in your life!!!
thinking of you!

jenney said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Kari Ann. Hugs.

Charity said...

Just wanted to let you know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Your Grandma sounded like an amazing person. The memories are so wonderful and it is so good and important to be with family at this difficult time. Hugs.

Jayne said...

{{{hug}}} There are no words. Your memories are lovely as was your grandmother!

The Comin Family said...

So sorry for your loss, Kari! What beautiful memories you have!! ((hugs))