Friday, November 11, 2011

Thank you Veterans!

Thank you to all the Veterans, living and not, that fought the noble battles to make and to keep the peace and freedoms that I enjoy. Those freedoms that I hope my children come to truly understand and cherish as I do. It is easy to get caught up in the business of day-to-day life without taking the time to appreciate what we have. Today I'm taking a minute to reflect on all that is good and thank those people who helped ensure that.


My grandfather, Franklin 'Bud' Kline served in World War II as a SeaBee. He will be 96 this December. Each May he participated in the Memorial Day service. 2010 marked 65 consecutive years. Due to his health he wasn't able to participate in 2011.
My Dad, Mike Trunnell served in the Army during the Vietnam War at the tender age of 22. I love this photo of him. Standing in a typical pose with a full head of hair. On the back of the photo he wrote "Me on a big ass rock". That is so classic Dad! When I showed this picture to Bennet she said, "Hey Mama- PawPaw Mike has hair here. That's cool! "

My father-in-law, Roger Sweeney, is a proud member of the U.S. Naval Academy Class of 1964. Here he is aboard the USS Tecumseh. I hope I'm not breaking any trade secrets or impairing National Security with this photo. :)
I have to thank my Mom as well. Each year she helps organize a phenomenal Veterans Day program at Twin Lakes Elementary School where she is a Special Ed Teacher. They really include the community as well as students and families. They have a flag raising ceremony followed by a program that introduces veteran guests, and families from their school who have a loved one actively serving. Thanks Mom for volunteering your time to put together such an important program!


Thanks to all veterans!

1 comment:

Cindy Gay said...

Great family. 96 (wow!) Great tribute to all!