Friday, September 19, 2008

We CAN get along

Nick and I took the girls to The Mint today for our weekly lunch. We had a little brush with fame as we saw James Carville (Democrat), better known as the Ragin' Cajun and Mary Matalin (Republican) sitting at the counter ordering Wisconsin's finest Friday Fish Fry. They are in town for a Forum tonight at The Grand Theater. Pretty cool beans if you ask me.
In general, politics make me both uncomfortable and passionate. I hate debating politics with family and friends. Makes the hairs on my arms stand up. I'd rather talk celebrity gossip or swap recipes. Yet on the flip side there are certain political comments, procedures and images that make me have a 'Verbal Spout' about my opinion with ferver. Nick is usually on the receiving end and heard one last night :)
Don't get me wrong. I think voting is one of the most valuable and important rights that Americans have. I think doing research on both sides of the issue is also a responsibility. An uneducated vote based on rumored assumptions is one of those aforementioned 'Verbal Spouts'. At this stage of the campaign I'm pretty much sick of both sides and yearn for the commercials and "I approved this message' to stop ringing in my ears.

(Total side note. If I see one more fluffy irrelevant report about Sarah Palin's stylist or her glasses or the jacket she wore at the RNC I'm going to hurl. Seriously. There are bigger issues at hand here people. I know Entertainment Tonight has better things to do. I'm sure Britney is shaving something or Angelina is gestating again somewhere.)

Ok- back on track. Seeing James and Mary today got me thinking. That no matter what your political stance is, at the end of the day, we really can still get along. These two people are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum polically and find a way to have a happy marriage and raise two children.
So what is my point? I'm not sure. I guess it's just nice to be reminded that even if I don't agree with someone politically, you can still love them. And that at the end of the day the Elephants and Donkeys can play in the same pen together. Maybe if they played a little well together we'd all be better off.
Happy note- the election is in 45 days. Woo hoo! Then it's back to the HeadOn commericals.

No comments: